Old maps and aerial photos

This page lists the best old maps and aerial photos we can find showing Fulham Cemetery or its location, and is divided into 2 parts: 

Before 1865 – Fulham Fields before the establishment of the cemetery.
After 1865 – showing Fulham Cemetery and its evolution.

Before 1865

Fulham Cemetery does not exist yet. The area known as Fulham Common Fields consists of farmland and market gardens.

1746 John Rocque's London 10 Miles Round Map

Rocque's 16-sheet map is perhaps the finest map of what is now Greater London published in the 18th Century. It shows the area now occupied by Fulham Cemetery as Fulham Field. Crabtree farm is shown. "Munster" is still "Muster". Hammersmith Bridge (1827) doesn't exist yet, but Fulham Bridge (Putney) does.

An Exact Survey of the citys of London Westminster ye Borough of Southwark and the Country near ten miles round / begun in 1741 & ended in 1745 by John Rocque Land Surveyor ; & Engrav'd by Richard Parr.

1837 Laurie's Plan of London

The map shows Fulham Common Fields where Fulham Cemetery is today. The West London Cemetery (Brompton Cemetery) is shown, laid out in 1837. Other interesting details include Crabtree farm, Dorset Cottage, Craven Cottage, Colehill House (aka Colehill Villa), and the Greyhound public house at the corner of Greyhound Lane. Lillie Road is still called Crown Lane.

LAURIE'S PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK Trigonometrically Surveyed by JOHN OUTHETT, 1837

It's not shown on the map, but Sir John Scott Lillie had already started developing Fulham Recreation Ground from 1826 (source). 

1849 A Picturesque Tour of the River Thames in its Western Course

This map is low on detail, but it shows clusters of houses around the villages of Hammersmith, Fulham, Parsons Green, and Walham Green (today Fulham Broadway). West London Cemetery (Brompton) is also shown.

A Picturesque Tour of the River Thames in its Western Course; including particular descriptions of Richmond, Windsor, and Hampton Court ... Illustrated, etc, MURRAY, John Fisher. 1842

1859 Post Office Directory

Map of London published by Benjamin Rees Davies for the Post Office Directory. It shows Fulham Common Fields where Fulham Cemetery is today, and the market gardens north of Lillie Road (here still named Crown Lane).

LONDON Drawn and engraved expressly for the POST OFFICE DIRECTORY, Davies, Benjamin Rees,1859

1864 Stanfords Map of London

The area that will be occupied by the cemetery in a year's time is still completely blank, but the map is worthwhile for the level of detail of the surrounding cottages and especially the Hammersmith area, in very high resolution.

Stanford’s Library Map Of London And Its Suburbs 1864; Showing All The Proposed Metropolitan Railways and Improvements.

After 1865

Fulham Cemetery was established on 3 August 1865, and enlarged in 1874 and 1880. ⭐️ = Recommended

⭐️ 1865 Ordnance Survey map of London

The Ordnance Survey map of London in 1865 shows Fulham Cemetery in its original size before the extensions of 1874 and 1880, with both Episcopal and Dissenters' chapels. Lillie Road is still called Crown Road. The Crabtree farm and surrounding cottages are shown in great detail.

London (First Editions c1850s) LII (includes: Fulham; Hammersmith) - 25 Inch Map

1865-6 Middlesex Sheet XXI

This map shows Fulham Cemetery soon after its opening in its original size. Details of the surrounding farms and cottages are also shown. Fuham Recreation Ground (Lillie Rec) does not yet exist, it opened in 1892. What is today Charing Cross Hospital is still the Fulham Union Workhouse.

 Middlesex Sheet XXI.  Surveyed: 1865 to 1866, Published: 1873

1872 Stanford's Map Of London

This map also shows Fulham Cemetery in its original size, before the extension of 1874. All the cemetery paths are shown as tree-lined avenues, although it's unclear if this reflected the reality or just illustration.

Stanford’s Library Map Of London And Its Suburbs 1872

1878 Stanfords Map of London

The extension to Munster Road in 1874 and the east lodge is shown. This is before the southward extension (1880) and the construction of the mortuaries.

Stanford’s Geological Library Map Of London And Its Suburbs 1878

This map also includes Hammersmith Cemetery (now Margravine Cemetery) which was opened in 1869.

⭐️ 1894-96 Ordnance Survey map of London

The Ordnance Survey map of London in 1897 shows the extension to Munster Road (1874) with a lodge by the gate and two mortuaries, as well as the southward extension (1880). The layout of the paths matches that of the present day. Fulham Recreation Ground (Lillie Rec) is shown, opened in 1892. Lillie Road now has its present-day name (after Sir John Scott Lillie).

Sir John Scott Lillie started to develop the Recreation Ground in 1926. Fulham Football Club played here in 1884 and 1885. (Source). 

1912 Ordnance Survey map of London

This map does not show much detail of the cemetery, but the staggering transformation of Fulham from farmland to dense residential streets over the preceding 20 years is evident. Gone is Crabtree Farm, the last farm to close (in 1910). Gone is the Munster Road Nursery. You can see Fulham Cross school, built in 1908, and the Lillie Rec bandstand. 

London Sheet N - OS Six-Inch Map

1915 Ordnance Survey map of London VIII.3

This map from 1915 shows the cemetery layout in good detail, with both chapels, both mortuaries, and both lodges. A tramway runs down Fulham Palace Road.

London (1915- Numbered sheets) VIII.3 Revised: 1913, Published: 1935

1944-73 Ordnance Survey National Grid maps

It's not clear exactly when this area was surveyed, but all cemetery buildings are still in place. This shows the shape and location of the Nonconformist Chapel in greatest detail.

Ordnance Survey National Grid maps, 1944-1973. The most detailed Ordnance Survey maps after the Second World War. 

This map shows the industrial Thames riverside in its heyday, as well as Riverside Studios (est. 1933). None of the present-day housing estates exist yet (Bayonne Estate, Aintree Estate, etc.) – built after 1960. This is the first map to show Fulham Hospital instead of Fulham Union Workhouse, although the present building was only inaugurated in 1973.

1949 Aerial photo, looking east

This remarkable image, taken 5 years after the war, shows the cemetery densely packed with graves, before most of the headstones were removed and the cemetery grassed over. The Nonconformist Chapel, both mortuaries, and east lodge all still exist. There are surprisingly few trees, meaning all trees in the cemetery today are from after this date.

[EAW022275] The city from Fulham Football Ground looking towards Hyde Park and beyond, Fulham, from the south-west, 1949. © Historic England. To zoom in on the image, create an account. This is the maximum detail available.

The full image also includes Margravine Cemetery, still showing the central chapel, since demolished, and the elm tree avenue.

Modern maps

Section Layout, 2002

London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham: Fulham Cemetery Section Layout, Jul 2002. 

Location Plan, 2007

London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham: Margravine & Fulham Cemeteries Location Plan, Nov 2007

Fulham Cemetery interactive map

Fulham Cemetery Friends maintain this custom Google map to catalogue the cemetery's existing features and for future planning.

Open the map in a new window to show or hide the layers.
Map shortcut: bit.ly/fulhamcemtrees 

The map has layers for:

Fulham Cemetery Friends welcomes contributions of more maps showing Fulham Cemetery!
Contact us