Buildings in Fulham Cemetery

A brief history

Fulham Cemetery was established in 1865 and is the borough's oldest cemetery. It was designed by John Hall, including the entrance lodge, and the two chapels, both in Gothic style. 

The cemetery is bounded by stone walls, piers and railings along Fulham Palace Road. The Dissenter's chapel has been demolished. 

Listed structures (Building of Merit: local list): Chapel, lodge, boundary railings, gates, piers, and stone wall. 

On this page

Fulham Cemetery Friends welcomes contributions of more information or images of these buildings!
Contact us

Original buildings and features

Church of England Chapel

Designed 1865 by John Hall in Gothic style and located near the west gate from Fulham Palace Road.

At the west end it has a fine tympanum over the entrance showing Christ, two angels and three sleeping crusaders, and an attractive bellcote. (Repaired in 2024.)

The 1865 Ordnance Survey map shows it as the Episcopal Chapel, and the 1897 map as the Church of England Mortuary Chapel.

The chapel is kept locked and used by the local authority for storage.

Entrance lodge

Designed 1865 by John Hall in Gothic style and located near the west gate from Fulham Palace Road.

The lodge, which was the residence of the cemetery superintendent, has the Bishopric of London Arms of crossed swords and a mitre on the exterior wall at first floor level. 

The lodge was sold in 2014 and renovated as a private residence. The renovation featured on Grand Designs series 18 (see Tatler article or watch on Channel 4).

Walls, gates, railings, and piers

Most of these are original Victorian features.

Fulham cemetery is bounded by cast iron railings on the west side along Fulham Palace Road, the north side along Lillie Rec, and the south side along the backs of houses. 

The avenue to Munster Road, added in 1874, and the east side of the south extension, are bounded by brick walls. The walls are in poor condition. They have been surveyed by the council and funding is being sought for their renovation. One area is fenced off as it is unsafe.

Demolished buildings

The Ordnance Survey map of London in 1865 shows Fulham Cemetery in its original size before the extensions of 1874 and 1880, with both Episcopal and Dissenters' chapels.

Nonconformist / Dissenters' Chapel

Also designed in 1865 by John Hall. It stood just south of the main avenue, opposite the west lodge, where the waiting room is today.

The Nonconformist Chapel is shown in all the old maps we've found until the 1944-73 Ordnance Survey. It's not known when it was demolished.

It is visible in this aerial photo from 1949.

The Ordnance Survey map of London in 1897 shows the extension to Munster Road (1874) with a lodge by the gate and two mortuaries, as well as the southward extension (1880).

The east lodge

The cemetery was extended to Munster Road in 1874. There was a lodge by the Munster Road gate, as shown in the 1897 Ordnance Survey map. The date of its demolition is not known but it was relatively recently – in the last 20 years or so. The wall by the gate still shows the outline of a building in this location (photo).

Mortuaries

There were 2 mortuary buildings, both shown in the 1897 map: 

Other buildings

The waiting room

Stands next to the lodge, where the Nonconformist Chapel used to be.

Used by Fulham Cemetery Friends with the council's permission to store gardening tools. 

It was badly overgrown and the roof and door needed repair.